Monday, August 26, 2013

Summer "Steamed" Shrimp


Have I mentioned before that I love summer? I really do. I love the lazy, hazy, relaxed pace of each day, the fact that I have nothing to do so I get to do what I want to do, I find I generally do more "for fun" reading at the end of the day (rather than flipping on the TV to lose myself in Grey's or New Girl), and I love that after dinner, it's still light enough outside for a trip to the park or a long, lazy walk with my family. I love cooking with the windows open, I love chopping some vegetables and taking them outside and tossing them on the grill, I love grilling (actually, I love when Graham grills), and I love the slow, easy vibe of it all. I could never get tired of an endless summer. Have I told you how much I love summer? Oh, I have?! Repeatedly? Time and again on this blog? Oops.

I also really love seafood. I've been saying, nay, begging my husband for years to take us on a trip to Maine so I can stuff my face with fresh lobster. Really, I'd take anywhere on the Eastern seaboard during the summer months. From Maine down to Florida, I'd happily take a summer vacation to chill and relax, eat some seafood that was swimming yesterday, and just enjoy the slow pace of summer.

This is one meal that just screams summer to me. I've seen it popping up on blogs before and for some reason I never made it. I think it was the fear of eating overcooked shrimp, or eating boiled shrimp, or....I'm really not sure, but I'm sorry I never tried this recipe sooner. The shrimp are perfectly cooked and done in a matter of minutes. Serve with some simple side dishes and you have a meal worthy of your mid-summer soiree.

Summer "Steamed" Shrimp
(Barely adapted from Tide & Thyme)

2 qts. (8 cups) water
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. whole coriander
1/4 tsp. whole allspice berries
1 bay leaf
1 lb. shrimp, any size, unpeeled but de-veined
3 T. Old Bay
Lemon wedges

In a large pot, combine water, vinegar, peppercorns, coriander, allspice berries, and bay leaf. Give it a stir, and bring to a boil over medium heat. When water is boiling, add shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the water comes back to a boil. Remove from heat IMMEDIATELY and drain shrimp. Remove bay leaf and season with Old Bay. Give it a stir to season well. Transfer to platter and squeeze a few lemon wedges over the top. Enjoy with cocktail sauce and lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::