Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Fake Shack" Shake Shack Burgers


I've written before about how I'm not big on burgers. When I want something grilled, I usually reach for a grilled chicken, or pizza, or our favorite kebabs and vegetables. Burgers and I just don't seem to get along. I even moaned and mumbled when I got burgers for the previous two recipe swaps. So it makes perfect sense that I'd willingly make a burger for dinner, right? Of course it does!

I wanted to fight it. I really did. When this burger started making the rounds on my message board, I fought it, even though it looked really good. (Now burgers are even looking good? What's happening to me?! It's like I don't even know myself anymore.) Then blogger after blogger made these burgers and raved about them, so I decided to bite the bullet and make them, proving to myself once and for all that burgers are not awesome and that all the fuss wasn't worth it.

Really, these burgers aren't anything truly remarkable. It's a potato roll with beef, lettuce, and tomato. What really elevates it is the secret sauce (which is not-so-secret after making the rounds on all the blogs.) Then you stuff it into some parchment and let it steam for 30 seconds, and you have a shamefully addictive burger.

Prior to seeing this recipe on Sarah's blog, I'd never even heard of Shake Shack, aside from a standard name in those little teenage beach movies from the 1960s. ("Hey, let's grab some burgers at the Shake Shack, Annette!") Apparently, the chain is making it's way to Chicago, so if it ever lands, I'll definitely have to check it out. Until then, I'll enjoy my burgers hot off the grill, in a bastardized parchment sleeve (a.k.a., sheets of parchment folded up).

"Fake Shack" Shake Shack Burgers
(As seen on A Taste of Home Cooking, originally from Serious Eats)

Sauce:
1/4 c. mayonaise
1/2 T. ketchup
1/2 tsp. yellow mustard
2 slices kosher dill pickles, diced fine (I omitted these)
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper

Burgers:
1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 T. butter, softened
4 potato rolls
4 leaves lettuce
4 slices tomato, cut thick
4 slices yellow American cheese

Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.

Mix the beef into 4 medium patties, creating a thumbprint indent on one side for grilling. Season well with salt and pepper on both sides.

Heat grill to high and oil grates well. Split the rolls and brush with softened butter on the interior of top and bottom. Toast on the grill until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate toasted side up and place 2 T. of sauce on the top half of the bun, followed by lettuce and tomato.

Grill patties and flatten out to 4 inches in diameter. Grill 3-4 minutes, until a good crust forms on the bottom. Flip carefully and top grilled side with a slice of cheese. Grill until cheese is melted, 2 minutes longer. Transfer to bottom side of bun, top with the prepped half of the bun.

Slide each burger into a parchment sleeve, or wrap in parchment paper and steam for 30 seconds.Serve immediately. 

2 comments:

  1. If you willingly make a burger I don't think you can call yourself a burger hater anymore. ;) So glad you not only tried these but liked them. They're my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ssshhhh!!! Don't tell! I'll be making burgers all the time now! My husband will never let me live this down.

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::