Friday, September 20, 2013

Recipe Swap: Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookies


Sometimes, I think Sarah just "gets me". A few weeks ago, I wanted to fire up the oven and bake something, but it was still too hot here in Chicago to fire up the oven. I was looking at my blog and realized that I hadn't posted a sweet or dessert recipe in far too long. Maybe it was luck, maybe it was just how the numbers paired up, or maybe Sarah realized I needed to bake some cookies or my husband would go on strike. Whatever it was, my draw for this particular recipe swap was none other than Eva of Eva Bakes. Eva is a baking and skating wizard. (I think she might be a robot.) I love following her skating adventures every Friday and watching her do leaps and spins that I have only ever dreamed of doing. Angie + ice skates = laughter. I will never be a skater.


This week, it finally cooled down and I started itching to turn on the oven and bake something delicious. I still hadn't decided what to make from Eva's blog--the theme this month was Blogger's Choice--because (and at the risk of sounding just a bit like a fangirl) I have so many "liked" and starred recipes in my reader that I honestly couldn't pick. I even asked my husband to pick for me and he just said, "I don't know. Bake some cookies." BUT THERE ARE SO MANY COOKIE RECIPES, GRAHAM. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PICK JUST ONE?! So I did. I read probably every cookie recipe she has on her blog, and decided on these beauties. They're super simple, super delicious, and have completely disappeared in the break room at work.I can safely say these will be making repeat appearances at work and at home from now until....always?

As always, this month's swap is hosted by Sarah from A Taste of Home Cooking. Thanks for hosting, Sarah! And thanks for Eva. ;-)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookies
(Barely adapted from Eva Bakes)

1 8-oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. all-purpose flour, 2 T. REMOVED and replaced with 2 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 c. chocolate chips*

Maple-Cream Cheese Glaze

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 T. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2-4 T. milk

Heat oven to 350* F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together cream cheese and butter until completely smooth. Slowly add in the sugar, pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the cream cheese mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Do not over-mix. Chill the combined dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.

After the dough has been chilled, stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop the dough onto the prepped cookie sheet, approx. 2 T. of dough per cookie. (I used a medium cookie scoop since that's what was available.) Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely before adding the glaze. Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies.

For the glaze, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Combine maple syrup, cream cheese, and vanilla, and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add milk, 1 T. at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Let the glaze set for several hours before storing.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! That's awesome. I'm so glad it worked out that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was kind of awesome. I spent way too much time watching her skating videos.

      Delete
  2. I love getting Eva's blog in the swaps! Those look great, and perfect in time for Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was all smiley when I got my draw. Total fangirl.

      Delete
  3. So glad you enjoyed these, Angie! And no, I'm not a robot - at least I don't think I am. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you're sure, but trust me, your skating totally blows me away. I've always wanted to learn how to do that stuff! Skating Fridays are my favorite.

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::