Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Tropical Quinoa


On Tuesdays, I pole dance. Not for fun and profit, just for fun. It's kind of a funny hobby to have, and I get some interesting reactions when I tell people what I do to lose weight, but I really enjoy it. I've noticed significant changes in my body since I started last year, and it's nice to have a guaranteed 90 minutes to myself each week. While the physical changes have been nice, the other side effect I wasn't prepared for was eating for pole. I really need to eat well on Mondays and Tuesdays so I'm ready for class on Tuesday evenings. While it's not just fueling my body and feeding me the right things, it's also making sure I eat the right foods so my hands don't get oily. Can't grip the pole if I ate too much junk food, amIright?!?!

To get myself in the best possible condition, I've started focusing my meals on Mondays and Tuesdays (especially Tuesdays) to be high in good stuff and low in garbage. That's huge for me. I love food, and in the past my mindset was generally, "If I take care of myself, I'm gonna eat this. Noms." Now I have to actually put a little more thought into what I eat. Weep. Enter quinoa. I love quinoa. I love it because it's delicious, but also because it's trendy, and like, everyone is totally making quinoa, man.

I'm not going to repeat what I've said before, but really, it couldn't be easier, and it's delicious. It takes on the flavor of whatever you throw in with in while still retaining it's protein power. As a result, you can help yourselves to seconds without feeling guilty or worry that you're going to slide right down the pole. Never fear, polers. You can eat seconds of this and still do your corkscrews, climbs, sits, and inverts. (So I'm told. I don't invert. I'm a spins kinda gal, myself.)

Tropical Quinoa
(Adapted from Tide & Thyme)

2 c. quinoa
1 c. pineapple, diced small
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 red onion, diced fine
1/4 c. shredded, toasted coconut
Juice of 2 limes
3 T. coconut oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook quinoa according to package directions, Set aside to cool.

Toast coconut if not previously toasted. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, combine quinoa, pineapple, mango, avocado, onion, coconut, lime juice, and oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or chill, covered in plastic wrap, until ready to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Yes for weight loss we should take proper diet and do perfect exercise timely and regular.

    Regards,
    Tahitian Noni Juice

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::