Monday, September 9, 2013

Watermelon & Cherry Tomato Salad with Feta and Basil Oil


While I will normally do some grumbling about having a picky toddler and a picky husband, I've got plenty of my own food weirdness, don't worry. There are some foods that I will.not.touch. Even after 5+ years of food blogging, making plenty of my own ingredients and foods, experimenting, and even pushing myself past my comfort zone, there are certain things that just won't do it for me.

Enter this salad. Individually, I love all the ingredients. I love watermelon (it was the only thing I craved when I was pg with Hannah), I love tomatoes--the ones you see above came right from our garden--and I'm a living, breathing American, which means I love cheese. I especially love feta cheese and try to squeeze it in where I can. There are different versions of this salad floating around online and in cookbooks, and each time I saw it, I wanted to like it. I love watermelon, but the whole thing just felt strange to me. I couldn't wrap my head around it. Eventually, I gave in because we had a bunch of leftover watermelon from a picnic we attended and figured that I'd probably eat it, no one else would, and hopefully that precious watermelon wouldn't go to waste.

Much to my surprise, I really liked this. I was the only one who ate it but Hannah is getting pickier and pickier by the minute, and Graham has a thing about cheese. That's okay, because that made for some great leftovers the next day. If you have any leftover watermelon and need to do something creative, go with this. It's a new favorite, for sure.

Watermelon & Cherry Tomato Salad with Feta and Basil Oil
(Barely adapted from Pink Parsley)

1 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 1/2 c. watermelon chunks, seeded and cut to approximate size of tomatoes, at room temp.
1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
3 T. EVOO
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. lime zest
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 c. crumbled feta

Place halved tomatoes in a large strainer and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes. If you haven't already done so, cut your watermelon pieces down to size.

In a blender, combine the basil, olive oil, vinegar, lime zest, and lime juice. Blend well, scraping down the sides of the jar as needed. You want the basil leaves to be chopped finely.

In a large bowl, mix tomatoes and watermelon and toss with basil oil. Toss with feta and serve immediately.*

*If serving later, mix the tomatoes with watermelon and tip the side of the bowl before serving to drain the excess liquid. Store basil oil and feta separately until ready to serve.



2 comments:

  1. Another yummy one! I made a watermelon and feta salad once and it was amazing. Why haven't I tried it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really good. I made it again last night since I was the only one who felt up to eating anyway.

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::